This is a Call for Poetry Submissions for:
Epistrophy: An Afternoon of Poetry and Music
Happening Sunday, October 21st, 2018, 2:00-4:30 pm
Venue: Wichita Public Library Advanced Learning Library
This is an opportunity to read your poem to musical accompaniment by musicians Susan Mayo (Cello) and Von Hansen (Percussion) improvising to your words. This will not be an open mic event - you must submit your poem for consideration to be chosen for participation.
Submissions due by July 31st, 2018.
You will be notified as to acceptance by August 31st. The event will involve each poet reading through her/his poem once while the musicians and audience listen. Then the poet will read the poem again, and the musicians will improvise accompaniment. We expect 8-12 D5 members to be able to participate, depending on the length of the poems chosen.
Kevin Rabas, Kansas Poet Laureate, and several other invited poets will also be reading. Jazz ensemble Billy’s Bounce will provide musical intermissions.
Guidelines for Submission:
- You must be a current member of Kansas Authors Club District 5.
- One poem only may be submitted—make it your best.
- Length: poem must not take over 4 minutes to read aloud at a relaxed pace. Shoot for anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes.
- Submission to include a cover letter. Letter and poem should both in a single .doc or .rtf file. Letter and poem must be on separate pages, as the poems will be judged blind. The cover letter to include your name and contact information, a 50-word bio and the title of your entry; poet's name should not appear on the poem page. Entry single spaced; margins 1 inch.
- Your submittal is your verification that you will be available to read on the date of the event.
- Submit your entries as an attachment to an email message addressed to:
- Entry must be submitted prior to midnight, July 31, 2018.
EPISTROPHY is an event cosponsored by The Kansas Authors Club District 5, The Wichita Public Library Advanced Learning Library, The Wichita Jazz Festival, River City Poetry, and Reverie Coffee Roasters, with funding by Bill and Marjean Harshbarger.